Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or a newbie, it is always best to first inform yourself about everything you need to know before purchasing a new rash guard. Selecting the idea rash guard can easily distinguish between a productive Jiu-Jitsu training time and a not-so-productive one. This simple guide should give you all the information you need to make the right purchase.
Importance of wearing a rash guard
Wearing a rash guard offers several benefits. Here are some of them:
- Prevent mat burn: During a jiu-jitsu practice or training, exposed areas of skin are always at risk of mat burn due to the nature of the mats used. Having a rash guard on will protect those areas of your skin and prevent mat burns. You can also opt for a rash guard to protect your limbs.
- Prevent injuries: A rash guard is also designed to compress your body in a soft hug gently. Studies have shown that this type of compression makes it possible for the body to heal faster.
- Prevent infections: Dirty mats will always put your body at risk of infections like staph infection as other kinds of skin diseases.
- Control moisture: After a few minutes of grappling, sweat is inevitable. And this will end up making everything slippery. Having a rash guard on will help give you the control and traction you need for a better grip.
What to consider when choosing the right Jiu-Jitsu rash guard
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind when looking for the perfect rash guard.
- Sound quality: The first thing you need to pay attention to is the quality of the rash guard. Not all of them are made of the same quality. Some brands produce pretty poor quality with not-so-impressive stitching, making the rash guard very uncomfortable to wear. The material of your guard should be strong enough to endure or withstand constant friction and traction.
- The make: You also need to make sure that you’re purchasing a rash guard designed for BJJ and no other purpose.
- Preventing ride-ups: A ride-up occurs when your attire rolls up as a result of constant contact. A good rash guard should come with a rubber strip feature at the waistband area to help stop your shirt from rolling up.
- Printing: Most rash guards come with their manufacturer logos printed on them. Sublimated logos are often more popular than other options, as the logo is fixed into the rash guard more permanently. The most important thing here is to pay attention to the print quality, as you do not want the design to start peeling off after a few weeks of use.
- Check the size and feel: Your ideal rash guard should fit perfectly. First, be sure you get the right one for your gender, as there are both men and women jiu Jitsu rash guard Next, check the feel to make sure it offers a gentle compress – not too light, not too loose. Also, make sure that you can move about freely.